· Feb.19-20 No School/Student Holiday
· February 28 Student Treasures Order Forms due back from students (please mark no if not ordering)
· Feb. 21-March 1 Apex Fun Run Fundraiser
· March 1 APEX Fun Run (on the track)
· March 6 3rd Grade Economics Fair (send in your quarters if you would like to make purchases)
· Mar. 9 Field Day (T-shirt order forms came home this week and are due back Mon Feb 12)
· March 12-16 Spring Break
· March 30 No school/holiday
Student Treasures Publishing: Poetry Books
We are gearing up to create and publish a class poetry book! Order forms were sent home earlier this week. Each family has a chance to order a personal copy softcover for $19.95 or hardcover for $24.95. Order forms are due back by Wednesday, February 28th.
1. Please make checks payable to Student Treasures Publishing NOT the school.
2. Ordering Online: Please be sure to include the authorization code on the order form and return it to school with your child.
3. Even if you do not wish to purchase a copy, please send back the form with NO marked so that it is indicated that your child’s page can be included in our class book and so that our class will receive a free book for all to enjoy.
February Speaking Project
The speaking project this month is for students to research a famous American. I told students they could instead research someone from India, China, Mexico, etc. We have learned to research here at school through our state research, so students should be able to use the Sommer Library website and fill in facts about their person. We will be presenting these the week of February 21st.
APEX Fun Run Fundraiser
Our Fun Run fundraiser is about to begin! Click here to learn more information about the event! It kicks off on Wednesday, February 21st with the actual running event on Thursday, March 1st (The flyer has a different date but it was changed to March 1). 10% of all monies raised from our classroom comes directly back to our class!! If we raise enough, we plan to buy more alternative seating! Let's get running!
We need Parent Volunteers!
If you can donate any amount of time to help us run a station at Field Day, please visit our sign up genius link HERE. We appreciate you helping us make this day a success!
The 2018 KLRU Kids Writing Contest is open for submissions until March 31st! If you have a K-5 writer in your family itching to share their work, head over to the KLRU contest website for more information. A few entry packets are also available in the library. http://www.klru.org/education/2018-klru-kids-writers-contest/
OUR LEARNING NEXT WEEK...3RD QUARTER, WEEK 7
Math: Students will practice and develop a deeper understanding of the idea that addition facts can help them solve subtraction facts because they are related. When given 3 numbers student should be able to generate the two addition and two subtraction facts that are related to these three given numbers. For example related facts for: 3, 4, 7...3+4=7, 4+3=7, 7-4=3, 7-3=4
Science: We will be wrapping up our unit on Living/Non-living, Interdependence, and Food Chains. We will review with several activities and test on Friday.
Reading with Integrated Social Studies: This week, students will continue to learn about goods and services by reading and discussing the books: Daisy Diaz Shakes Up Camp and Alexander, Who Used to be Rich Last Sunday. Students will learn that goods and services may be provided/received/exchanged by other means. For example, bartering (exchanging) and trading may be used to fulfill your needs and wants. We will also discuss that people need to make choices when things are scarce.
Writing: Students will select a poem from their collection and begin working on their individual page for our published class poetry book. This will include getting the poem to final copy form (written in pen) along with an illustration. While working on their page for our book, they will also be creating their own little poetry books that will house a collection of their own poems they wrote throughout our poetry unit.